During League of Legends ranked games you can hear sometimes term “”MMR”, e.g. what is my lol MMR, low MMR or high MMR. In this article we will talk about LoL MMR in details and will explain what is Match Making Rating exactly and where you can find MMR checker to learn what your rating is.
MMR IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS: MEANING / DEFINITION
As mentioned before, MMR is an abbreviation which means Match Making Rating. Shortly, League of Legends MMR is the hidden rating your has account has in the certain game type queue. It’s your actual but hidden ranking which determines players of what skill you meet in your games and also the amount of League Points (LP) you gain per win or lose per defeat. For example, if you gain about 17-20 league points per win, your MMR is normal (usual) for your current division.
MMR IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS COMPARING TO ELO SYSTEM
MMR is using the same values as ELO system (you can read more about ELO system here) which has been in use in the first two ranking seasons before league system was invented. However, only MMR determines level of players you meet in all type of game queues (normal, normal draft, ranked flex, ranked solo/duo and ranked 3v3) and LP gain or lose. Meanwhile league system shows your progress publicly:
- Your league: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master or Challenger
- Your division from 5 to 1.
- Current amount of league of points.
LOL MMR IN NORMAL GAMES
As you know, there are no public tiers and divisions in LoL normal and normal draft games but MMR system is still working. This means that with time you will start to play with players whose skill level is nearly the same according to League of Legends records and statistics. Thus if you want to train against strong players in normal games without having a risk losing your rank in ranked queue then you can use a League of Legends normal boost (we offer boost in the both types of queue: normal and normal draft).
MMR ON DIFFERENT SERVERS: EUW, EUNE & NA
As far as we know, MMR system works the same and using the same numbers across the all LoL servers whether it Europe West (Euw), Europe Nordic East (EuNe), North America (NA), Russia, Latin America North (LAN), Latin America South (LAS) or Korea.
HOW LEAGUE OF LEGENDS MMR IS CALCULATED
Everytime you win or lose, your MMR changes accordingly. Amount of MMR gain or lose depends on the two main factors:
- Average Match Making Rating of all players you faced in the normal or ranked game.
- If you are having a win or lose streak because MMR is much more sensitive than league system. You can have Platinum 3 MMR but Gold 4 league due to huge winstreak. In this case, you will play mostly against Platinum players, will gain more than 30 LP per win (and lose about 11-12) and will jump over division during promotion, e.g. from Gold 4 straight to Gold2. This often happens during elo boosting orders, when you account have 10 or more wins in a row.
Winstreak and 26 lp gain per win during elo boost on Boosteria
Nevertheless, the reverse situation may arise: during the long losestreak you may gain 8-12 LP per win, lose about 24-28 LP and play against players who are several leagues below yours.
WHAT IS LOW, HIGH AND NORMAL MMR IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
You can determine if your MMR low, high or usual for your current league by looking at your LP gain/lose.
- If your LP gain is equal to 17-22 then you MMR is normal for your league and you will play against players whose league is close to yours.
- If your LP gain is equal to 22-40+ then your MMR is higher than current league. When you have 30+ LP gain then very like that during promotion you will jump over division.
- If your LP gain is equal to 14-17 LP then your MMR is slightly below current league.
- If your LP is gain is less than 14, then you are in MMR hell and it will be extremely hard to start getting usual LP because you need a serious winstreak. Such winstreak in League of Legends ranked queue can be provided by elo boost from Boosteria. Such MMR drop can happen due to the really long losestreak. It was happening often during ranked season 3 when you couldn’t be droped from one league to league below. Means you could be stuck at Diamond 5 even if you would lose 100 games in a row. If you want to boost your account by yourself then finding a reliable duo partner would be a great idea and you can find a person to play duoq on our website, here.
13 LP gain due to low Match Making rating. Screeshot was done before client update but situation haven’t changed.
LEAGUE DECAY (ELO DECAY) DOESN’T AFFECT MMR
MMR doesn’t change with elo decay thus if even huge decay happened you will gain a lot of LP to come back fast to the league which fits your skill. Of course, you will have to play against the same level of players as if nothing happened. It happens because your MMR haven’t changed while your league position was changed.
DODGING A GAME DOESN’T AFFECT MMR
Dodging a game during champion selection won’t affect your MMR, you will lose only 3 LP and get a time penalty, unless you are in series for promotion the dodge will count as lose.
HOW MMR AFFECTS RANKED DUO QUEUE
When you are playing in duoq you will be matched according average value of your MMR and your duo partner plus 30 to compensate duoq advantage. For example. If you have 1400 MMR (Silver 2) and you partner has 1650 MMR (Gold 4) you will be matched against players whose MMR is close to (1400+1650)/2+30 = 1540 MMR (Gold 5).
YOU HAVE SEPARATE MMR FOR EACH QUEUE: FLEX, RANKED, NORMAL, TWISTED TREELINE
For every game queue you will have it’s own MMR, including normal games and twisted treeline.
MMR GETS SOFT RESET WHEN NEW SEASON BEGINS
During new season start your MMR in all game queue will get a soft reset. Soft reset is just better than hard one because it will still sort off player base and won’t make games in the beginning of new season too random. Thus your performance during preseason affects your MMR your placements when a new season starts. Also due to soft reset you will start to gain more LP than usual to make you faster reach a league which fits your skill. Winstreak at the beginning of new season can provide with high position in the lol ranked queue.
PLACEMENTS MATCHES ARE THE BEST WAY TO BOOST YOUR MMR
Placements matches affect your MMR significantly. Therefore succeed in placements matches with 8-2, 9-1 and especially 10-0 win/lose statistics is shortest way to get a reat position boost. This way, you may finish your placements at Platinum 3 (the highest point you may reach after placements, also depends on your position in preseason and at the season end).
LOL MMR DOESN’T AFFECT CHAMPION SELECTION ORDER
Originally, MMR played a role in the distribution of positions during champion selection, e.g. the person who had the highest MMR was picking champion first. This feature was removed in order to avoid any situation that may cause flame like conversations whose ranked position is higher. Thus right now position order during champion selection is decided by random.
HIDDEN MMR DISTRIBUTION BY TIERS: CHART OF LEAGUES & DIVISIONS
Here we list estimate values of normal MMR for each ranked position. We call MMR normal when league points gain is approximately equal to league points lose. One division equals 60 MMR and league equals 300 MMR. Chart of average MMR values for each league and division (these are aproximate values but they are very close to the real ones):
BRONZE LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 0-1089 MMR
- Bronze 5 MMR is 0-839.
- Bronze 4 MMR is 840-899.
- Bronze 3 MMR is 900-959.
- Bronze 2 MMR is 960-1019.
- Bronze 1 MMR is 1020-1089.
SILVER LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 1090-1409 MMR
- Silver 5 MMR is 1090-1149.
- Silver 4 MMR is 1150-1209.
- Silver 3 MMR is 1210-1279.
- Silver 2 MMR is 1280-1349.
- Silver 1 MMR is 1350-1409.
GOLD LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 1410-1719 MMR
- Gold 5 MMR is 1410-1479.
- Gold 4 MMR is 1480-1539.
- Gold 3 MMR is 1540-1599.
- Gold 2 MMR is 1600-1659.
- Gold 1 MMR is 1660-1719.
PLATINUM LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 1720-2019 MMR
- Platinum 5 MMR is 1720-1779.
- Platinum 4 MMR is 1780-1839.
- Platinum 3 MMR is 1840-1899.
- Platinum 2 MMR is 1900-1959.
- Platinum 1 MMR is 1960-2019.
DIAMOND LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 2030-2330 MMR
- Diamond 5 MMR is 2030-2099.
- Diamond 4 MMR is 2100-2159.
- Diamond 3 MMR is 2160-2229.
- Diamond 2 MMR is 2230-2269.
- Diamond 1 MMR is 2270-2329.
MASTER LEAGUE MMR VALUES: 2330-2500 MMR
Master league has no divisions you are going straight to challenger league upon promotion.
CHALLENGER LEAGUE MMR VALUES: ABOVE 2500 MMR
The highest possible league in game but players here have challenger points (analogue of elo system but only for challenger league).
PLAYER DISTRIBUTION BY TIERS IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
For the sake of interest, we present the following diagram which shows player distribution in League of Legends by leagues. As you can see 85% of players are belong to Bronze-Silver league. And the Gold one reach only top 15% of all players.
HOW TO CHECK YOUR MATCH MAKING RATING: LOL MMR CHECKER
There is league of legends MMR checker on the website of open league of legends base – OP.GG. To check your MMR follow next steps:
- Go to the OP.GG
- Input your Summoner Name (your ingame nickname) in search
- Press “Solo MMR” button
- Get an aproximate result. This data is not official but shown MMR would be very close to real value (they calculate average position of players you recently met in solo queue and show it as your MMR).
LoL MMR checker tool on OP.GG website
You may also be interested in: